Friday, June 11, 2010

Pork Barbacoa

Pork Barbacoa pictured with Black Beans

This recipe is from Jill McKenzie's book.  It has become a standard at my house.  I use a big roast and freeze the leftovers to have at another time. This is the original recipe with my notes at the end.

Pork Barbacoa
1 2 lb. pork roast
3 (12 oz) cans Coca Cola or Sprite
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1 c. brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp. butter
1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, undrained
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. seasoned salt
1 c. ketchup
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar

Place roast in a large, nonreactive bowl.  Pour soda over the top, cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.  In a 4 quart slow cooker, combine chicken broth, brown sugar, butter, pineapple chunks (including juice), cumin, seasoned salt, ketchup and vinegar.  Discard soda marinade and place pork roast in the slow cooker.  Simmer on low for at least 8 hours.  Shred pork with 2 forks and serve in  sweetened natural juices over rice or as part of another dish.  Serves 10-12

Notes:  I have made this without the marinade step and it is still very good.  We like the meat rolled in tortillas with beans or rice and sour cream. I prefer to use crushed pineapple instead of chunks as it all shreds into a more uniform-looking mixture.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!