Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Salisbury Steak

This is an old Taste of Home recipe and one of our favorites.  The patties are traditionally shaped in ovals.  Yours will be.  Mine are the product of some serious multi-tasking efforts last night, and I completely skipped over the oval bit.  If they look like hamburgers, can you still call them Salisbury Steak?  They disappear either way! Yum!

Salisbury Steak with Onion Gravy
1 egg
1 can (10 oz.) condensed French Onion Soup, undiluted, divided
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch of pepper
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 Tbsp. flour
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. water
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
Hot cooked egg noodles

In a large bowl, beat egg.  Stir in 1/3 c. of soup, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.  Add beef and mix gently.  Shape into 6 oval patties.  Brown in a skillet over medium heat for 3-4 min. on each side.  Remove and set aside; discard drippings.  In the skillet, combine flour and water until smooth; add the ketchup,  Worcestershire sauce, mustard and remaining soup;  bring to a boil.  Cook and stir for 2 min.  Return patties to skillet.  Cover and simmer for 15 min. or until meat is no longer pink.  Serve patties and gravy over noodles.  Garnish with parsley if desired.  Yield 6 servings.
Notes:  The only kind of soups I buy are cream soups, chicken noodle, and tomato, so I substitute for the French Onion Soup in this recipe: 1 pkt. onion soup mix which I mix with 10 oz. of water, then I proceed as directed in the recipe. I also use about 2 lbs of ground beef and make some of my patties child sized to get 10 servings out of this recipe.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!