Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mom's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

All that is left of summer break is the strewn flip-flops, Popsicle stains on the counter top and a stack of dirty swimming suits in the laundry room.  I heard, "Mom, I don't want to go to school." for the first time this year as I tried to wake one of my daughters this morning.  It is always a tough transition.  To make coming home feel comforting, I made these cookies yesterday.  The recipe is one that has been in my box to try for years, and now I am sad I hadn't tried it long ago!  These are yummy!!!  I like my cookies chewy, not crispy, but these can be either.  They look nice with the dusting of powdered sugar, but while I was dusting, my arm flab jiggled, so have your children dust for you....unless you are still young and lean.


Mom's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
1 c. margarine, softened
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
3 c. old fashioned oats
3/4 c. chopped pecans
confectioners' sugar

In a large bowl, blend margarine, sugars, eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy.  Combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.  Add to creamed mixture; mix to blend.  Stir in oats and nuts.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Flatten with floured for to 2 inches in diameter (will spread to 4 in. when baked).  Bake at 350 for 12-15 min.  Cool on cookie sheet; remove to cooling rack.  Sift confectioners' sugar over tops.  Yield 3 dozen.

Notes:  I substituted walnuts for pecans and my favorite baking time was 11 min.  leaving me with a chewy cookie instead of a crisp one.  I didn't use parchment paper, sprayed my pans with cooking spray, but then found I needed to scrape any cookie bits off and spray again between batches.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!