Monday, August 23, 2010

Plum Sauce

The first time I had lettuce wraps, my mouth was so happy!  But my favorite bit was the plum sauce the restaurant served alongside.  I found this recipe several years ago and I make a batch every fall for dipping egg rolls and won tons.  The recipe comes from the Ball Blue Book, and the spiced version is from Taste of Home.  My children hate the way it smells while it is cooking, I tell you as a warning not to make it when you have company coming. :)


Plum Sauce

4 lbs. plums
2 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
3/4 c. chopped onion
2 Tbsp. mustard seed
2 Tbsp. chopped green Chile peppers
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
1 Tbsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c. cider vinegar
(Opt. for spiced sauce: add 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. cloves)

Pit and chop plums. Combine remaining ingredients in a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add chopped plums. Cook until thick and syrupy, about 1 1/2 hours. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust two piece caps. Process 20 min. in a boiling water canner Yield 4 pints. Note: when cutting or seeding hot peppers wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned. (I prefer the spiced version with the cinnamon and cloves.)

Jenny

1 comment:

Martha M said...

I just made 3 batches of this delicous plum sauce. Yes, my house smells pungent, but yes it is sooo worth it. We like to eat it with egg rolls or meatballs. We give it to our neighbors for Christmas and they love us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!