Monday, April 25, 2011

Bacon Potato Soup

A few years ago, I compiled a family cookbook for Nathan's family, with recipes from their childhood and from our current family gatherings.  This childhood favorite was originally called "My Mom's Potato Soup" and is a recipe from my husband's maternal grandma, Rosalie.  It is hands-down my children's favorite soup.  The creamy onion-bacon flavor is homey, and feeding a crew with only 1/2 lb. of meat makes this budget friendly too.

Bacon Potato Soup
1/2 lb. bacon, diced
1 c. chopped onion
In a soup pot, brown together.  Stir in:
1/4 c. flour, and continue to heat until flour is brown. Add:
6 c. peeled, cubed potatoes
2 tsp. salt
6 c. cold water
Stir.  If needed, add additional warm water, just to cover potatoes.  Cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 min. 
Add 2 c. milk
Taste for seasonings. (I usually add a little pepper here).  Heat, but do not boil.

Notes:  You can add other dried herbs to this, if you like. Thyme and parsley and some rosemary are all nice.  This is also a quick recipe for a soup, about 30 min. from start to finish. 

Jenny

1 comment:

AO said...

As someone who frequently uses and reads your blog, LOVIN' this recipe. I just bought some bacon marked down the other day.... you must have been inspired for me in planning my menus the next couple of weeks. Apparently the weather is still allowing me to make soup. Can't WAIT to make this one! And Ryan will love it since it has bacon :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!