Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Glazed Oatmeal Bars

My mother was the queen of the bar cookie when I was a teenager.  I really resented the square cookie vs. the perfection of the round one, but as I have become my mother--a busy, running, striving-to-keep-kids-fed lady, I have come to appreciate the bar cookie as a friend.  Mix, bake, serve.  This has a cake-like texture and a yummy carmel tasting glaze on the top.


Glazed Oatmeal Bars
1 c. quick cooking oats
1 1/4 c. water
Combine these in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 1 min. 30 seconds.  Stir and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine:
1/2 c. softened butter or margarine
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Cream together.  Stir in the oatmeal.  Add:
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
Stir together.  Spread in a greased 10x15 pan.  Bake at 350 for 20 min., until golden brown.
Glaze:
6 Tbsp. butter/margarine
1/4 c. evaporated milk
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. coconut
Combine glaze ingredients in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil, stirring for 1 min.  Spread over warm bars.

Notes:  I have used regular milk in the glaze, with good result.  My son doesn't like the coconut texture, and I am sure you could leave it out if desired. (I like it!) I am also at high elevation and find it best to boil my glaze for 2 min.
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!