Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Easy Rice Pudding

Rice pudding is one of my comfort foods--a hug I give myself.  I love it freshly made and also warmed for breakfast the next day.  This recipe is the result of some recent experimenting to find the combination I like best.  It is easy and actually quite fast compared to other rice pudding recipes.

Easy Rice Pudding
1 1/2 c. rice
3 c. water
1/2 cinnamon stick
a pinch of salt

Combine these ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover.  Rice will be tender in about 20 min.

When rice is tender, remove cinnamon stick and stir in the following:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. raisins
more cinnamon to taste (opt.)

Return to heat just long enough to heat through. Serve warm with a sprinkling of nutmeg. Refrigerate leftovers. (Pudding will initially be soupy, but it will thicken up as it cools.)

Notes: Because the rice continues to absorb the liquid around it, rice pudding will set up like concrete in the fridge.  To warm leftovers, scoop a serving into a dish and add a Tbsp. of milk, then microwave for about 45 seconds. Stir in the milk, and your pudding will be creamy again.  I like to use Cinnamon Plus from Pampered Chef in this.  You could also use a pie spice blend.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!