Monday, July 18, 2011

Salt Dough

I like play dough for the sensory satisfaction it provides my children.  If they are fighting or bored, it is always soothing to pull out something physical to do on a small scale. This is fun to keep little hands busy for times when the weather isn't cooperative for playing outdoors.  It will stay soft for a couple of weeks in a zipper closure bag.  You can bake your creations and paint them too.

Basic Salt Dough
2 c. flour
1 c. salt
2 Tbsp. oil
water

Place the salt, flour and oil in a bowl and stir.  Add water a little at a time until all is moistened and crumbly.  Use your hands to knead the dough together, add a bit of flour or a bit of water to get the consistency you want.  You can knead in food coloring to color the dough.

Notes: You can bake this and paint the hardened creations.  This works best if the dough is even thickness, like you get rolling it with a rolling pin.  A fun idea is to make ornaments: roll the dough with a rolling pin about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut with cookie cutters, use a straw to poke a hole for the string.  Bake in a slow oven (275 degrees) until dried and hard.  Let cool and paint with acrylics.
Jenny

1 comment:

AO said...

Collin is currently making "cookies" with his salt dough. ANd I'm cleaning the kitchen. WAHOO!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!