Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Bienenstich Cake (Sting of the Bee Cake)

Yesterday was my birthday, and after consulting myself and finding no specific cake that I was in the mood for, I decided to make one that has been on my list to try for awhile.  I pulled this recipe from a cookbook in my mother-in-law's kitchen, sorry that I don't know which one.  I was intrigued by the name.  It is a yummy cake!  If you like butter (Keri, this means you), you will love this, as it is the most wonderful celebration of butter since Butter Cake.  My teenage son said, "Heaven in the mouth."  It has a crumbly texture, a crunchy topping, a velvety filling, and butter love. (as far as the photo goes, just concentrate on the cake, ignore the crazy, controlling people that think they need to protect that little candle from me...)

Bienenstich Cake (Sting of the Bee Cake)
1 c. butter (no substitutes)
2/3 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk

Topping:
1/2 c. butter
1 c. finely chopped almonds
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla

Butter Cream Filling:
1 c. butter
2 c. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2-4 Tbsp. milk or cream
1/2 c. raspberry jam

Cake: Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs one at a time until fluffy.  Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk.  Spoon batter into well-greased 9 inch springform pan.
Topping: Melt butter, blend in chopped nuts, sugar, and milk, bring to a boil.  Remove from heat, add vanilla, stir and cool slightly.  Spread topping carefully over batter.  Bake at 375 degrees for 50 min.  Remove from oven and cool.  Remove ring of springform pan.  Prepare filling.
Filling: Soften butter.  Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla, and enough milk to make a nice spreading consistency.  Split cake horizontally into 2 layers.  Spread bottom layer with butter cream filling.  Top with raspberry jam.  Carefully replace top layer.  Cut into thin slices and serve.  12-16 servings.

Notes:  I had to choose between an 8 1/2 inch pan and a 9 1/2 inch pan.  I chose the 9 1/2, but when I do it again, I will choose the smaller pan, in order to make a thicker layer for splitting.  I cut out 1/2 c. butter out of the filling, and still had plenty to cover my layer.  I used plum jam.  It was yummy!  This cake is luscious, but tricky to work with: the topping makes a crisp layer of nuts on the top, the texture of the cake is coarse and tends to crumbly.  When you split the cake, use some wide spatulas to support the top.  Move it as little as possible.  The top of mine cracked, making it hard to slice.  The taste makes you forgive it, but if you can save it from cracking, then all the better.

Jenny

2 comments:

The Land of the Blue Flower said...

my mouth is watering already. you know me too well!

Lori Geiger said...

Making this cake right now. Ready to take it out of the oven. Will have to let you know how it turns out. Quick question...you say for the topping to melt the butter but the ingredients for the topping doesn't list butter. Any idea how much?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!