Wednesday, December 7, 2011

French Silk Pie


I wanted to make a French Silk Pie for Thanksgiving this year, but all the traditional recipes call for a lot of raw eggs.  I didn't think it was wise to serve something like that to all the nieces, nephews and a pregnant sister in law, so I went searching for a recipe that would be safe.  Leave it to the wonderful test kitchen at Taste of Home to have it all figured out!  In this recipe the eggs are pasteurized by heat before adding the chocolate.  You will need a thermometer and patience, but the end results are worth it.  The recipe I made is a double batch of the one found here.  It filled my big Pampered Chef pie plate just perfectly, but even if you don't have a big pie plate, you might consider making a bigger batch, as all the comments on this pie report it to be low on filling.  You could always refrigerate any remaining filling for a midnight snacking mom emergency.  This is really rich.  Slice it thin.

French Silk Pie (with Almond)
1 1/2 c. sugar
6 eggs
Combine in a sauce pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon and reaches 160 degrees. Remove from heat.  Stir in:

6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 tsp. almond extract
Stir until smooth.  Cool to lukewarm, stirring occasionally.

In a large bowl, beat
1 c. butter

until light and fluffy.  Add cooled (90 degrees) egg mixture and beat on high for 5 min.  Pour into a cooked and cooled pie shell (I used this one.)  Refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving. 

Notes:  It takes a while to heat the eggs.  Use low heat and patience.  I have used chocolate chips instead of the chopped chocolate called for in the original.  I would do it again without hesitation, but the chopped chocolate might be darker/richer in appearance.  This is usually topped with whipped cream.  You can also replace the almond extract with 2 tsp. of vanilla extract.

Jenny


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!