Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mock Strawberry Shortcake

I remember when this recipe became popular in my small hometown.  It seems like someone decided it would be the dessert for the annual sheep sale which was a huge event at the time, and then it was so popular we had it at every swanky function ever after.  Nobody was sad to see it come out of the kitchen.  It looks elegant and tastes lovely and fresh with spring strawberries and you can make it in bulk on large cookie sheets, so it was handy for a crowd.  Recently my mother made it for my children, and now we will be eating a lot of it this spring, because it is all the rage again. :-)  Try it for Mother's Day tomorrow! I think it would make a great 4th of July dessert as well!

Mock Strawberry Shortcake
1 white or yellow cake mix and ingredients to make cake
White layer:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 c. powdered sugar
1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip
Red Layer:
1 pkg. Danish Dessert (located by the Jello usually) or use this homemade version
2 c. sliced strawberries

Mix cake mix according to package directions.  Bake and cool completely.  Blend together cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.  Blend in Cool Whip.
Spread white layer on cooled cake.  To make strawberry layer: make Danish Dessert according to package directions or use this homemade version.
Add sliced strawberries and cool completely.  Then spread over cake and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until top layer is set. (you can serve it before, but it might run down the sides of the slices)  You can also make this ahead and refrigerate, covered loosely with plastic wrap overnight.

To make this for a crowd:  Spread cake mix into a large, heavy duty cookie sheet.  Bake until golden (probably about 20 min).  Cool.  Double ingredients for white and red layers.  Proceed as directed.

Notes: I recently made this with this cake recipe: Yellow Cake (3 Egg Cake).

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!