Friday, September 13, 2013

Coconut Pecan Frosting

When I was first married, my husband told me that for every birthday, he always had a German Chocolate cake.  As a dutiful (and may we say sweet) wife, I found a recipe, bought the ingredients and made a German Chocolate cake from scratch.  It turned out lovely.  But my husband was unable to hide his disappointment.  The German Chocolate was a much lighter chocolate cake than he was hoping for.  It took us awhile to figure out that the birthday cake he prefers is a dark chocolate Devil's Food cake, with the Coconut Pecan Frosting.  So this is my husband's birthday frosting.  You serve it on whatever kind of cake you like!  I have a friend who loves to make frosting sandwiches with graham crackers and this delectable stuff.

Coconut Pecan Frosting
1 c. sugar
1 c. evaporated milk
1 cube margarine
3 egg yolks
Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and cook and stir over low to medium heat until it thickens and becomes a caramel color.
Add:
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. coconut
1 c. chopped pecans (or walnuts if you prefer)
Stir together.  Cool slightly before spreading on cake.  Store any leftovers in the fridge.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!