Sunday, September 22, 2013

Bacon Corn Chowder

A soup to warm your bones this fall. I make it for my husband who is a soup junkie and my oldest daughter who loves this particular soup.  You would enjoy it with bread sticks, yeast biscuits or a slice of fresh bread.
Bacon Corn Chowder
1/2 lb. bacon, chopped
1 med. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Brown these together in a large pot, add
1/3 c. flour and stir to coat flour in drippings. Add
5-6  potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 c. water
bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 min.  Add
2 (15 oz.) cans corn, (drain liquid off one of the cans)
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. seasoning salt (like Lawry's)
Pepper to taste (I like a lot of ground pepper in this, or to use pepper bacon if I can)
2 c. cream (or half and half)
Heat for a few minutes, until potatoes are tender.  Taste for seasonings.  Serve with bread or crackers.

Notes: this would also be yummy with red potatoes-leave the peels on if you try this. You can replace one of the cans of corn with a can of creamed corn.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!