Friday, March 1, 2013

Whole Wheat Crackers

I have been experimenting with this recipe, and I have it to where I like it.  I made them first for my daughter who wouldn't eat her tomato soup without crackers, and of course, there were no crackers in the house.  They are quick to put on the table, the recipe is simple and I have enjoyed the results. The crackers are also cheap to make, and I think if you double the batch, it is equivalent to a normal box of wheat crackers.  See what you think.

Whole Wheat Crackers
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. seasoning salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1/3 c. water
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients in small mixing bowl.  Add water and oil and stir to combine.  Mixture should form a ball of dough.  Roll dough very thin, directly on a large cookie sheet and cut into strips, then cut across into squares (I use my pizza roller, and then just take a knife to the edges I can't get because of the sides of the pan).  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 8-10 min. or until brown and crisp. (Nobody wants soft crackers!)  Serve warm or cool with soups or dips.

Notes: I have doubled the batch and baked two cookie sheets at once using this tip. You can use white flour with these, you can add pepper or herbs or use olive oil--you could even use a sea salt over the tops.  I'm just beginning to experiment, but I think there are lots of possibilities here.  I like the wheat flour flavor better than white. Do let me know how your experimenting goes!

Jenny

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lovely! I tried making wheat crackers a few months ago too. So much cheaper and better ingredients than those yellow box ones. I'll have to try yours out too.

-Adrienne

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!