Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Refrigerator Pickles

I tried these at a friend's barbecue and they are so yummy!  I was glad they are also SO EASY! They are bright, fresh tasting and keep a good crunch.  This recipe is also great for end of the garden, as it only takes a few cucumbers and a few minutes time.

Refrigerator Pickles
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
2 c. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. dried dill weed
1 tsp. minced garlic-optional (I used the kind in a jar- maybe use less if fresh)
cucumbers

Wash and slice cucumbers to fill three jars (mine made 2 pints and one quart). I like to take a thin slice off the ends of the cucumber and then slice into spears, but you could also slice them in rounds. In a microwave safe dish, combine water, sugar, vinegar and salt.  Microwave on high for 2 min. and stir.  Continue heating and stirring until the salt and sugar have completely dissolved.  Stir in dill weed and garlic.  Pour hot syrup over sliced cucumbers and cap with a lid. Place in the refrigerator and wait at least 3 days before eating (this is the hard part!).  The pickles get better over the next two weeks. They should last several months in the fridge.

Notes: You can use whole dill heads if you have them 1-2 heads per jar.  I made two pints and one quart out of the first batch, but packed the pickles different for my 2nd batch and had enough syrup to cover 1 quart and three pints, so your cucumber packing will determine your quantity. I like to put some in quarts because my cucumbers were so long!  I also tried replacing the dill and garlic with celery seed, whole cloves and mustard seed.  That made good pickles too, but I prefer the dill. You could also use whole, peeled garlic cloves in this.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!