Friday, August 23, 2013

Heka

I'm not sure where this recipe originates from.  It is a stir fry with ground beef as a base and soy sauce for flavor. The recipe came from my friend Kristen a long time ago.  It is for me and my fellow cabbage-lovers!  I'm still working to convert some of my household to the appreciation of this vegetable.  It is a process that consists of putting it on the table in front of them as often as I think they will let me! Go, cabbage!

Heka
1 lb. hamburger
1 med. onion, sliced
2 c. carrots, sliced
2 c. celery, sliced
2 c. cabbage, sliced thin
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. water
2 Tbsp. sugar
pepper to taste

Chop all the veggies.  Brown hamburger and onion together in a skillet, do not add any salt, but pepper to taste.  Add remaining vegetables.  Mix soy sauce, water and sugar together and pour over vegetables and hamburger.  Reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer 15 min. or until veggies are tender. Serve immediately. I like to serve this with bread, rolls or biscuits.

Notes: The original recipe calls for 1/2 c. soy sauce and 1/3 c. water.  I think it makes it a little over-salty, so I use a bit less, but keep the liquid ratio the same.  You can do as you like.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!