Thursday, May 27, 2010

Alfredo with Ham and Peas

I have been making this recipe since college.  It came from a Future Homemakers of America contest where some talented Jr. high cooks had to make it for judges (the judges being students from the Family Life department at our college.) Over the years, I have adjusted it to feed our growing family. Here it is pictured with Mary's Bread Sticks.

Alfredo with Ham and Peas
12 oz. pasta (fettuccine or other)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 (7 oz.) can mushrooms
2 c. ham, cubed
1 c. peas, cooked
1/4 c. butter or margarine
3 heaping Tbsp. flour
2 1/2 c. milk or cream
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet and add onion and mushrooms.  Cook until onion is tender.  Add flour and stir to coat all the flour in the butter, then add milk and cheese.  Cook over medium heat until sauce begins to thicken.  Stir in ham, peas and drained pasta.  Season to taste and warm all through.  Serve immediately with more Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top.  Serves 6-8
Notes: You can use fresh mushrooms, they are great in it, but I have the canned on the shelf and have used those most over the years.


Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!