Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sandra's Doughnuts

This is my mother's recipe.  She made them often when I was growing up, and always referred to them as Aunt Elaine's doughnuts.  Once I asked her if I could see Aunt Elaine's recipe, and she dug it out for me.  I laughed at how different the two were!  Mom hadn't realized how much she had made the recipe her own over time.  The wonderful thing about this recipe is how fast you can have hot doughnuts.  I prefer the flavor after they have cooled, if you can keep them around that long.

Sandra's Doughnuts
Place in a big bowl and stir:
3 c. flour
1 ½ Tbsp. yeast
½ c. + 1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Add: 1 cube margarine, melted
1 ¼ c. hot water
3 eggs, well beaten

Stir until smooth. Add 1 to 1 ½ c. more flour to form a soft dough. Roll out dough on a floured surface to ¾ inches thick, cut with a circle cutter and fry in oil heated to 375 degrees.
Glaze with 2 c. powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1/3 c. milk, blended in a blender.


Notes: Mom always cut the circles, but never the holes. She just poked her finger into the circles to make holes. She lays out the hot donuts on a rack with a cookie sheet underneath, and pours the glaze over them, when she runs out, she empties the cookie sheet glaze back into the blender pitcher and pours the next batch.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!