Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sourdough Cornbread

We tried this cornbread this week, and it is wonderful! It is moist, and has a faint sourdough tang.  We ate it with butter and honey.
Sourdough Cornbread
3/4 c. sourdough starter
2 c. flour
2 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs, beaten
1 c. milk
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. green chilies, chopped (opt)
1 c. shredded cheese (opt)

Grease a 12 inch Dutch oven and set aside.  Mix starter, flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda, salt, and baking powder together. Then add beaten eggs, milk, oil, chilies and cheese.  Stir well and pour into Dutch oven.  Bake at 350 for 35 min. (8 coals on the bottom, 16 coals on the top.)  Goes great with Taco Soup.

Notes:  I made this without the cheese and chilies, and poured it into a greased 9x9 pan for baking in my oven.  I will try it with the cheese and chilies if I serve it with Mexican dishes.
My friend made this with blue cornmeal and shared the photo!  Looks a bit like chocolate cake, doesn't it? Super fun! Thanks, Jessi.

Jenny

1 comment:

Nanette said...

Oh I am obsessed with cornbread! I can't wait to try this out! I'll have to send it to my mom as well-my dad is gaga for sourdough. True Californians through and through.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!