Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tres Leches Cake

This cake was introduced to me by my new sister in law.  It is a traditional Mexican treat, a yummy sponge cake, soaked in milks and topped with whipped cream.  You can serve it with fruit as well, but I like it just like this.  This is very easy to make. 

Tres Leches Cake
Cake:
6 egg yolks
6 egg whites
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk
3 tsp baking powder

Filling:
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup sour cream
(mix filling together)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Beat egg whites until frothy, add sugar and egg yolks, vanilla, and milk and mix together. Add flour and baking powder and mix well. Pour into a 9 x 13 rectangular pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Make numerous holes with a fork. Pour filling over cake until absorbed. Refrigerate. Later, decorate with whipped cream and/or sour cherries, pineapple, or mixed fruit.
Notes:  I use a big meat fork for poking holes in the cake. This can be made a day ahead by covering with plastic wrap and refrigerating after adding the filling.  Frost with whipped cream just before serving.

Jenny

2 comments:

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Thanks for linking up to THIS WEEK's CRAVINGS "Mexican Dishes". We appreciate you sharing your recipe with us! We hope you come back next Monday for "Brunch Recipes / Mother's Day". Have a great weekend!

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/search/label/THIS%20WEEKS%20CRAVINGS

Carla and Michael said...

Hi, visiting from This Weeks Cravings. I have to make this cake at least once. I've seen it all over the web and never tried it. Thanks for the inspiration.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!