Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Chile Verde

Have you missed me?   You know I haven't stopped cooking, because the crew here never stops eating!  Back to school has been a bit nuts, but today I'll catch up on some recipes.  This one was given to me by a friend and reader.  I was so excited when I finished it and realized this is the stuff I've been buying in a can to go on my favorite Mexican Casserole.  So, try this the next time pork roasts go on sale.  It makes quite a large batch, so I have some sitting smugly in my freezer waiting to be consumed. I love cooking once and eating twice or more.  Thanks for this, Karma!

Chile Verde
1 pork roast (about 4 lbs.)
Place in a crock pot, season with garlic and salt and cook on low 8 hours or on high 3-5 hours.  The roast should be very tender and falling apart.  Take this and let it cool in the fridge.  The next day (or whenever, but it works best starting cold). In a large saucepan:

Saute 1/2 c. onion
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic

add cubed roast

add 6 c. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
4 oz green chilies
1 finely chopped green tomato

Bring to a boil and thicken with cornstarch.  (To do this, add about 2 heaping Tbsp. cornstarch to a little cold water and stir until starch is incorporated, then add this to the hot pot and stir.  Cook until boiling again.  Repeat if thicker consistency is desired.)

Serve in tortillas with mozzarella cheese, rice, refried beans, lettuce and tomatoes.


Notes:  You can substitute a 16 oz. jar of salsa verde for the chilies and the tomato. This is pictured with Maria Elena's Tortillas

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!