Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cheddar Pear Pie

This recipe comes from Taste of Home in the late nineties, it was a first place winner in their pie contest that year.  I adore pears, and this is one of my favorite pies. I call this my annual pie, because I used to make it once a year and eat it predominantly by myself, all the children thinking cheese and pie were too weird together.  Now I have a few converts. It always comes out of the oven looking so pretty, so it would be a good one to take to a potluck and share.


Cheddar Pear Pie
5 cups peeled, sliced ripe pears
1/3 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt
1 unbaked pastry shell, 9 inches
Topping:
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

In a bowl, combine pears, sugar, cornstarch and salt.  Pour into pastry shell.  Combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over filling.  Bake at 425 for 25-35 min. or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.  Cool for 10 min. Serve warm. Store in refrigerator.

Notes:  I have used flour instead of cornstarch as thickening before.  I also like to cut in cold butter or margarine in the topping, as it makes it crumbly.  If you do it as the recipe directs, you get a kind of dough that you must crumble.  It works either way. I also love this pie cold.
Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!