Monday, January 30, 2012

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Once in a while, I cook for two--me and my sweetie.  Because there are some things we like that our children don't appreciate.  This soup is one of those, we love it, and we especially love that we don't have to fight anybody for it.  But, if your household has a lot of mushroom fans, you will have to make this recipe bigger.

Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 med. onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. butter
In a sauce pan, melt butter and caramelize the onions in it over medium heat.  Add:
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
Brown together, until the mushrooms are dark then add:
2 c. beef broth
2 c. cooked beef, cubed (I use leftover roast.)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. heavy cream
1 c. milk
salt, pepper and smoked paprika to taste
Heat through and serve. Makes about 4 servings.  The picture shows this topped with skillet croutons.

Notes: This soup isn't thick.  If you want a thick soup, you could add a few tablespoons of flour to the browning ingredients just before the broth.  Make sure to stir it through to coat the flour particles in oil, so they will incorporate without lumping when you add the broth.  You could also eliminate the beef and double the mushrooms.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!