Monday, January 23, 2012

Freezing Heavy or Whipping Cream

Cream is expensive, so anytime I find it at a good price, I like to stock up.  I found some clearanced at my local grocery store between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and brought it home to the freezer.  It is easy to freeze and lasts for several months, you just place the cardboard container in the freezer and you are done with that part.  It is a little trickier when it is time to use the cream.  If you want to use it to whip, you need to place it in the refrigerator for a day or two to thaw, then shake the carton a few times before opening and pouring out.  There may be some separation of the milk solids, but this usually isn't a problem.  I have noticed some reduced volume after whipping cream that has been frozen, but not enough to keep me from doing it.  If you are going to use the cream in anything that will be warm, a chowder, alfredo, or creme brulee, here is my tip for defrosting in the microwave.

When I first started doing this, I would open the box and place it in the microwave, but I was irritated by the inability I had to stir while it was only melted around the edges in the box.  I won't tell you how long I did this before it occurred to me to just peel the box right off of the frozen cream after you take it out of the freezer, but that is what I do now.  Place the frozen cube in a microwave safe container.  Microwave a minute at a time, turning the block and stirring until you have a nice warm cream.  Maybe you don't need this tip, but I wish someone had shared with me!

Jenny

2 comments:

AO said...

How did I NOT know this? I should have bought more when it was clearanced. There are tons of things I make not as often as I would like beacuse cream is too pricey! I'm going to remember this....and I would have needed your tip! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

hello!,I like your writing so a lot! share we communicate more approximately your post on AOL? I require an expert on this house to resolve my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look forward to look you.
Champion Sports Catchers Mitt - Full Size

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!