Monday, May 17, 2010

Winter Squash Fritters

This recipe comes from Apples for Jam.  I tried it for the first time last night, and my kids ate squash!!! Happily, willingly!  Of course there are pretty good odds of them eating a thing that is fried and rolled in sugar, but this is a grand first, so I am sharing.

Winter Squash Fritters
1 cup cooked, pureed winter squash
1/2 c. flour
1/8 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper
5 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
butter for frying

In a bowl, add the squash, flour, soda, eggs, salt and some pepper.  Mix well. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together on a plate.  Heat enough butter in a nonstick pan to cover the bottom.  When it sizzles, turn the heat to medium and dollop a few large tablespoons of squash mixture, letting them settle into fritters.  Don't touch them until they have set and are golden brown, turn with a spatula and cook until golden.  Drain on paper towel-lined plate.  Pat them on both sides in the cinnamon sugar.  If the butter looks dark and starts to burn, wipe out the pan with a paper towel and start with fresh butter. Makes about 18 fritters.
Notes:  I used oil for the frying.  This made up very quickly.

Jenny

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blog Directory
Blog Directory
Add blog to our directory.

About This Blog

If you are visiting, welcome! I am in the process of a Vulcan Mind Meld with my computer to put all of my right hand recipes for feeding my family on here as fast as possible. Please come back often and stay awhile. There are so many exciting things to come!

What this is:

A clearing house for all my favorite recipes. All my food musings. All my favorite cookbooks and kitchen gadgets. If you enjoy it here, and find it useful, welcome!